Wednesday, September 18, 2013

True Confession

People often ask me if my own house is organized and I have to say that I  have a place for everything--even if everything isn't always in its place.  And I only have what I love, need, or use, and will fit in the space.  In that sense, I'm doing o.k.

But there is one area in which I'm just like most of my clients -- the computer!

The desktop is crammed with stuff, some of which I don't even recognize.  When I open up the download file, I take one look and quickly close it right back down. And those photos!  I have some files that I created about two years ago, but everything else is in a place labeled "misc".  I delete a bunch of emails every week, and tell myself I'll file the others "later", so they're piling up.  Don't even talk to me about backing things up on the cloud or anywhere else!


The only difference between my computer and a desk overflowing with piles of paper is that I can't see the computer mess when I walk in the room.  Otherwise, it's exactly the same, and I deal with it in exactly the same way that many people deal with their physical stuff:  I procrastinate.  I sit down to organize the computer and get sidetracked for about an hour and a half reading emails & catching up on networking. I feel overwhelmed, so I shut the thing down and walk away.  I try to put the niggling thought that I have to do it away, but I can feel the weight of it bogging my down in other areas of my life, just as physical clutter does.

Well, that stops now!  It's time to make an appointment with myself (my most challenging client) and  and start taking my own advice.  I'll break up the job into smaller tasks, set a time frame to work, and tell myself gently at first,and then a little more sternly, to stay on task.  I'll remind myself often of what it will be like to have a nicely organized, clutter-free computer where I can easily find everything I need.

If that doesn't work, I know lots of Professional Organizers who will be happy to assist me!  Wish me luck.

For more on this topic:  Organize Your E-Clutter Like a Pro

 For solutions to your organizing challenges,
to schedule a free consultation,
or have a conversation about your organizing needs:

Call Linda Palmer
262-784-3957


at Create Order
Home Organizing and De-materializing Service
                                  In Waukesha and Milwaukee WI counties, and surrounding area
on the web:  createorder.org
email: createorder1@gmail.com
facebook:  Linda Palmer/Create Order Organizing Service






No comments:

Post a Comment