Saturday, August 24, 2013

Be Rich Without Money!

     Most of us think we have to have a lot of money in the bank to feel rich.  In truth, there are a lot of VERY wealthy people who are anxious and worried about money, and a lot of happy people who may or may not be rich.  The good news is: we can all be a part of the second group!  Here are some ways to trick yourself into feeling rich.

Give: whenever you get the chance.  Even if you're having trouble making ends meet, you might put 25 cents in the MACC fund can at the counter, a packet of spaghetti in the food collection bin at the store, or add a dollar at the register to support a cause.  You can do things for people--any people.   Over-tip whenever and whatever you can.  It makes you feel benevolent and generous, a vibe which some people (me)  believe will attract abundance.  And, it feels so much better to put something in that bell-ringer's bucket than trying to sneak past without making eye contact!

Pretend:  When I went through a period of feeling seriously cash-deprived, I would go to the mall and pretend I could have anything I wanted.  I surprised myself by being very picky in my choices, which made me realize I didn't want most of that stuff after all.  One time, a friend and I did this at an art fair, giving ourselves $50,000 to spend.  We were amazed at how attentive and helpful the artists were as soon as we started "shopping"!  Neither of us managed to spend the entire amount.

Practice Gratitude:  This can include a gratitude journal, counting blessings etc. but there are a few other fun things you can do. Say "Thank you" at every possible opportunity. Before I started paying everything online, I would write little notes on the bills when returning them with payment:  "Thanks for the electricity!  We really enjoyed it during this hot spell." or " I so appreciate you lending me the money for my car.  I don't know where I'd be without it." I know it sounds crazy, but it completely transformed the bill-paying experience for me.  I imagined that someone would open the envelope, see the note, and maybe have a good laugh with someone about it...or send the men in the white coats...but it was fun for me.

(fromhttp://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/middle-class-problems?s)
Keep things in perspective:  Some time ago, I read a little piece on BuzzFeed called Middle Class Problems.  It made me laugh, but it also made me realize that the 80% of the world's population that doesn't have enough to eat, a place to sleep, or clean water, would love to have my problems.  When I find myself fretting or complaining about finances, I remind myself:  This is a middle class problem!  Instantly, it seems less problematic.

Last, but not least:  Get Rid of Stuff!  Letting go of extra stuff sends a subconscious message to your brain: "I have what I need, and I can get what I will need in the future."

When you realize you have plenty, you're less likely to acquire a lot of stuff you don't need. Which allows you to have more space, more order, and more of what you need and love in your life.  And who doesn't want that?

More reading on this topic:  How to Feel Rich and Wealthy

 For solutions to your organizing challenges,
to schedule a free consultation,
or have a conversation about your organizing needs:

Call Linda Palmer
262-784-3957
at Create Order
Home Organizing and De-materializing Service
                                  In Waukesha and Milwaukee WI counties, and surrounding area
on the web:  createorder.org
email: createorder1@gmail.com
facebook:  Linda Palmer/Create Order Organizing Service

 





No comments:

Post a Comment